Re: 2.6.25-rc5-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.24

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 17:16:30 EST

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Gabriel C wrote:
> >> Not really. Can you please revert the reverted revert again and run
> >>
> >> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/time-warp-test/time-warp-test.c
> >>
> >> on your machine with all CPUs and HT enabled ?
> >
> > Sure , doing so now.
> >

> Here the result on 2.6.25-rc6-00243-g028011e ( it was running 30++
> minutes the time I was away for food =) )
>
> 4 CPUs, running 4 parallel test-tasks.
> checking for time-warps via:
> - read time stamp counter (RDTSC) instruction (cycle resolution)
> - gettimeofday (TOD) syscall (usec resolution)
> - clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) syscall (nsec resolution)
>
> | 1.46 us, TSC-warps:0 | 16.01 us, TOD-warps:0 | 16.10 us, CLOCK-warps:0

Amazing. I never found a multi socket box where the TSC's were in sync.

So the rotating watchdog triggers for a yet to figure out reason.

Oh, now that the pm timer seems to work again, can you try the following:

apply the reverted patch again and let the box boot. At some point the
TSC is marked unstable and is replaced by acpi_pm clocksource.

What result does timewarp.c show in that situation ?

Thanks,
tglx