Re: use of preempt_count instead of in_atomic() at leds-gpio.c

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 12:55:33 EST

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
Hello.

In short, you are saying that there is _no_ reliable way to determine
am-i-called-from-inside-spinlock.
That's correct.

So, it is impossible to know whether I am inside a spinlock or not.
OK. That's not what I want to do.

I want to make sure that my code (not a device driver) is called only from a context
where use of down()/mutex_lock()/kmalloc(GFP_KERNEL)/get_user_pages()/kmap() etc. are permitted.
Is "if (in_atomic()) return;" check a correct method for avoiding deadlocks
when my code was accidentally called from a context
where use of down()/mutex_lock()/kmalloc(GFP_KERNEL)/get_user_pages()/kmap() etc. are not permitted?
I'm assuming that in_atomic() returns nonzero whenever scheduling is not permitted.

You shouldn't sleep while holding a spinlock. As soon as another thread attempts to take the spinlock, it will be stuck in a busy-wait loop.

So, it's better if you specify that your code either can be called in atomic context or must not be called in atomic context, and all callers observe this restriction. Or callers pass a flag to your code which says whether your code is allowed to sleep or not.
--
Stefan Richter