Re: GIT commit description flag(s)

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 07:07:11 EST

Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
> I quite agree with you that the description is already there, but such
> flags could help easily review or grep commits in order to identify your
> areas of interest.
>
> Even your example has ambiguity: "Wire up new timerfd syscalls" - It's
> not easy to understand whether this particular commit is a bugfix, or it
> speeds up things, or the old code which has been cleaned up, etc.

The fundamental problems
- people sometimes chose bad summaries,
- we can't always predict the full impact of the patch,
- what's important for me isn't for you
cannot be solved by your proposed flags.

They can only be solved by
- reviewing patches WRT good changelogs,
- writing up extra summary release notes for areas of interest
after the fact.

>>> It would be nice if [kernel] git commits had a flag [a char] (or a
>>> combination of) describing their main purpose which could be the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> bug Fix [F]
>>> Speed up/Performance [S]
>>> Revert [R]
>>> New functionality [N]

New bug [B]
Attempted bug fix which doesn't really work, a.k.a. nice Try [T]
Performance regression, a.k.a Downgrade [D]
--
Stefan Richter