Re: [Regression: 2.6.25-rc5: Blank Screen: Intel 945]

From: Bryce Harrington
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 22:38:12 EST

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 04:48:59PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:38 pm Justin Madru wrote:
> > Jesse, do you still think it's a bug in the X server driver instead of
> > the kernel driver (dri I guess)? Because I can trigger the blank screen
> > before the X server even starts. If I press ctr+alt+f1 at the _right_
> > time when the kernel is booting (or I guess when the boot splash is
> > showing) it will instantly blank out. That doesn't seem like something
> > related to X.
>
> Depends on the boot splash program. I think in some configurations it'll be X
> based, but again Bryce probably knows more here as the Ubuntu X guy. :)

Mmm, well indeed that may be the kernel framebuffer.

Justin, one thing you could try is to set your system to boot up without
starting gdm. Either do this via /etc/X11/default-display-manager
(comment it out, or set to xdm or something) or bypass it entirely by
mv /etc/rc3.d/{S30,K30}gdm, and then append '3' to the end of the boot line
in grub. (Maybe there's a better way to achieve this with upstart, but
my upstart-fu is limited.)

Bryce