Re: [RFC][2/3] Account and control virtual address spaceallocations

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 15:33:48 EST

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 06:44 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > If you're going to do this, I think you need a couple of phases.
> >
> > 1. update the vm_(un)acct_memory() functions to take an mm
>
> There are other problems
>
> 1. vm_(un)acct_memory is conditionally dependent on VM_ACCOUNT. Look at
> shmem_(un)acct_size for example

Yeah, but if VM_ACCOUNT isn't set, do you really want the controller
accounting for them? It's there for a reason. :)

The shmem_acct_size() helpers look good. I wonder if we should be using
that kind of things more generically.

> 2. These routines are not called from all contexts that we care about (look at
> insert_special_mapping())

Could you explain why "we" care about it and why it isn't accounted for
now?

-- Dave