Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: David Newall
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 09:03:10 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> You will need:
>
> * Two Violin 1010 memory devices
>
> * Four UPS units each rated for one hour at 600 Watts
>
> * Two servers, each with at least two 8x PCI-e slots
>
> * One SAN with a bunch of 15K rpm scsi disks

Honestly, this isn't at all what I understood you to be talking about.
In your very first post you described ramback as "a new virtual device
with the ability to back a ramdisk by a real disk." I assumed "ramdisk"
to mean the Linux psuedo-device. I never understood that you meant an
external device, in fact I thought ramback was *instead of* a Violin.
Since you're talking about external ram, it survives operating system
crashes and of course that is not such a big deal as I was thinking.