Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

From: Kristian Mueller
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 01:36:22 EST

Hi pozsy

On Mar 8, 12:20 pm, Pozsar Balazs <po...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
> kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
> suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
> response or poweroff...

I've had the same problem (tried with 2.6.25-rc3, -rc5 and -rc6).
Got a MacBook Pro 2,2 (first Core 2 Duo series) here.

> Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
> What other info would you need?

I've solved some issues, using "init=/bin/sh" in the kernel commandline.
You can then call "/usr/sbin/pm-suspend" and system will actually output
messages while suspending - does not happen with normal Ubuntu init.

The first issue I got was the "hangs after Suspending console(s)"
Solution: kernel command line += "no_console_suspend"

The 2nd one is a problem with /dev/hda (CDROM) error "drive not ready".
I could kind of solve this by not using the piix driver from the
"ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL" section anymore. I only use ata_piix driver from the
Serial ATA section now, which seems to support the CD drive to.

Well, after that my system goes into suspend. yay!, but when it wakes
up. I get the following sequenze:

- Fan starts running
- Sound klicks softly
- CD drive makes a short noise
- CD drive makes the same noise again (moving the laser i guess)
- EFI Bootloader appears

(the second CD drive noise is already part of boot sequence -
I am not sure about the first one though)

Anyway, I am not sure if it's nessesary, but I also disabled:
- dynamic tics
- smp
- forced preemption
- modular USB and SATA drivers

I still suspect the CD drive to be a problem. - searching for a way to
disable it for now.

Greetings from Berlin

Kristian
--