Re: [RFC][2/3] Account and control virtual address space allocations

From: Paul Menage
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 23:04:24 EST

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Balbir Singh
<balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. We want to be able to support hierarchial accounting and control

> 2. We want to track usage of the root cgroup and report it back to the user

What use cases do you have for that?

> 3. We don't want to treat the root cgroup as a special case.

Why? It is a special case, in that in a lot of machines there's only
going to be the root cgroup, and the subsystem won't be mounted. So in
those cases, paying any overhead is a cost without a benefit.

Alternatively, how about you skip tracking virtual address space
changes if the virtual address cgroup isn't mounted on any hierarchy?
When you mount it, you can do a pass across all mms and set the root
cgroup usage to their total.

Paul