Re: [2.6.24.3][net] bug: TCP 3rd handshake abnormal timeouts

From: Gabriel Barazer
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 12:25:24 EST

Hi

On 03/15/2008 9:55:27 AM +0100, Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 09:47:24AM +0100, Gabriel Barazer wrote:

Feel free to repost the whole issue overthere (along with your new tests)
if you don't get useful replies in a few days.

By the way thanks for replying. It's hard to explain and describe a problem when you know people will ask you hundreds of questions related to application-level problems, or not reply because web/mysql problems are so common and generally not related to any kernel issue.

What caught my attention was the usual "3s delay", which is purely TCP
and application-independant.

Also, you say you have netfilter with conntrack. Is this on the client ?
If so, you should try disabling it to rule out any possible bug in the
connection tracking.
I have the conntrack on both the client and server, and unfortunately can't disable it now on the client (I use it only for the REDIRECT target on a precise destination address and port, not MySQL related), however I will test today and disable it on the server, after I get some sleep (although I think the issue is on the client).

I'm sure it's a client issue too, that's why it would be reasonable to
be able to try without conntrack. Can't you use a TCP proxy instead of
REDIRECT ? Also, you said that you also noticed the same behaviour in
other environments, maybe there you can disable conntrack ?

I was able to reproduce the bug multiple times without conntrack nor netfilter on the client and the server(I recompiled the kernel disabling the entire netfilter subsystem). The 3-second problem still occurs so we can completely rule out contrack-related bugs.

What can we do and test next?

Gabriel