Re: preempt bug in set_pmd_pfn?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 13:25:34 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
actually, i think the correct approach is to remove the TLB flushing and perhaps to check that the old pte is not present. Do we ever _change_ mappings via __set_fixmap()? I think we only ever install them.

Yes, I think that's the case. clear_fixmap() exists for clearing out an existing mapping, but its only used to clear out the WP test mapping and in early_iounmap (if called late). I couldn't see any instances of replacing a mapping.

but if we ever change them somewhere then the correct approach is to do a flush_tlb_all(). It's not just about preemption but about the fact that we modified the kernel address space and we must propagate that to all CPUs.

Yes, I was wondering about that. If __set_fixmap is only used at boot time, then a global flush isn't necessary, but if its deemed a general-purpose API in a normal running kernel, it needs to deal with cross-cpu flushes.

64-bit set_fixmap is __init only, and I'd be OK with that. The only non-__init use in the 32-bit kernel is the compat vdso mapping, and that could easily be done by other means (though it would effectively become an opencoded set_fixmap, so perhaps that's not a good idea...).

the vmalloc() backtrace you sent - how did set_pte_pfn() get into that codepath - vmalloc shouldnt be using __set_fixmap().

No, that's set_pte_at(), which is the real issue in both cases. __set_fixmap calls both set_pte_at and flush_tlb_one, which is why it gets two backtrackes.