Re: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt directionflag

From: Aurelien Jarno
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 19:50:21 EST

Chris Lattner a écrit :

>>> How hard is it to change the kernel signal entry path from "pushf" to
>>> "pushf;cld"? Problem solved, no?
>>
>> The problem is with old kernels, which by definition stay unfixed.
>
> My impression was that the problem occurs in GCC compiled code in the
> kernel itself, not in user space:
>
> 1. User space has direction flag set.
> 2. signal occurs
> 3. kernel code is entered
> 4. kernel code does string operation <boom>

Wrong. Except maybe for the Hurd kernel. For other kernels:

4. signal handler is called
5. signal handler does string operation <boom>

The GCC used to compile the kernel doesn't matter. Using gcc 4.3 to
compile the user code triggers the bug.

--
.''`. Aurelien Jarno | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
: :' : Debian developer | Electrical Engineer