Re: 2.6.25-rc3: 34TB vmalloc total -- overflow in /proc/meminfo?

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 14:49:40 EST

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
CommitLimit: 4132360 kB
Committed_AS: 27684 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 18112 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359720115 kB

out of curiosity: yesterday I've seen a box[0] with ~4 TB Committed_AS:

CommitLimit: 3085152 kB
Committed_AS: 4281048084 kB
VmallocTotal: 118776 kB
VmallocUsed: 13772 kB
VmallocChunk: 103880 kB

Since it's a rather old kernel (2.6.19.2), I just want to know: could this be related to what you've seen or this completely different (and Committed_AS is just this high because some st00pid app has allocated this much memory but not freed again)?

Thanks,
Christian.

[0] amd64, 32bit kernel, 32bit userland, 4GB RAM
--
BOFH excuse #101:

Collapsed Backbone