Re: [RFC] use realmode code to reserve end-of-conventional-memoryto 1MB

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 12:32:28 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

I am aware that it would take more work to tell all kernel code that it
shouldn't look for BIOS data on this region when running as a domU guest,
but it seems that it would be a better solution.

For the moment that's true, but we should be able to release those pages. On the other hand, there's been talk of making Xen hand out memory in physically contigious 2M chunks, which means trying to unmap 300k won't be possible or worthwhile. I suspect real hardware will just waste this memory too (it won't remap that 320k of ram to somewhere else; it will just be shadowed) - which is nothing compared to chipsets which will just throw away 1G to make space for PCI...

Not that 384K is all that much to worry about, but you could just map memory from 2 MB upward, and set the kernel load address to 2 MB (which is good for performance anyway.)

There has been talk of making the default kernel load address 16 MB, to keep the DMA zone free.

-hpa