Re: Google's Summer of Code?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 14:36:32 EST

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Are there any plans to send an application of Linux kernel as a mentor
> organization for Google's Summer of Code this year? I think there are
> probably a lot of students interested in hacking on the kernel. And
> no, I am not volunteering to send that application but I would be
> interested in being a mentor.

We haven't done it before (afaik), and I don't think we've had anybody
sign up to suggest a project and mentor it. It's probably worth talking to
people in other projects that have done the gsoc thing before.

And no, I'm not going to do that "mentor organization" application thing
either, but there's bound to be *somebody* who wants to do it. Maybe it
could even be done as part of the Linux-foundation drive (currently LSB
and OpenPrinting, no kernel projects). See

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code

and maybe we can add a kernel thing to there.

Linus