Re: bisected boot regression post 2.6.25-rc3.. please revert

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 18:11:47 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

I went through and made a bunch of these flags signed so that they would sign-extend properly in 32 vs 64 bit. We could make them unconditionally 64-bit, but I'm worried that will have unforeseen consequences too.

In this case, PAGE_MASK should probably be signed too, so the sign extension happens properly.

Yes, it should.

Alternatively, they could be cast to pteval_t and/or phys_addr_t so that they will have an inherent size which matches the pagetable format (using _AT() rather than _AC()).

Either that, or we could use a custom constructor macro (PTEVAL_C()). This is arguably The Right Thing, but the sign-extending version is OK, too.

-hpa