Re: [RFC/PATCH] cpuset: cpuset irq affinities

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 06:57:46 EST

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 13:20 -0800, Max Krasnyanskiy wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > But yeah, this was just a quick hack to show the idea, glad you like it.
> > Will try to flesh it out a bit in the coming week.
>
> Are you going to add code for "boot" cpuset ?
> I wrote user-space code that is does that, but as I understand from previous
> discussions we want to create that in the kernel.

Yeah, I'll be trying to (lack of cgroup fu for the moment).

I think something like

/cgroup
/cgroup/system
/cgroup/system/boot

/cgroup/big_honking_app
/cgroup/rt_domain

Where the system group includes all IRQs and all unbound kernel threads
(by default). The system/boot group will contain all of userspace.

Doing it in this way ought to allow for some weird setups. The system
group can overlap with anything that does need system services. The boot
group must be a subset thereof, and can be shrunk to a small part of the
machine.