Re: Should a x86 gdb work under an x86_64 kernel?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 06:56:17 EST

"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that if I try to use a 32-bit x86 gdb to debug a
> 32-bit program under a 64-bit x86_64 kernel, gdb (version 6.6-debian,
> from Ubuntu Gutsy) immediately core dumps as soon as I run the test
> program under the debugger. Is this normal/expected/known bug?

It's clearly a bug. x86-64 compat user space should be 99+% compatible
and running full 32bit user land with a 64bit kernel is supposed to work.

The main exceptions are a few programs that rely on the 3GB address space
(these can be used with linux32 --3gb), some programs which
make bogus assumptions about /proc,/sys which cannot be fixed
and a few programs which use obscure driver specific ioctls with
no compat wrapper.

-Andi