Re: kernel.org git tree corrupt?

From: Steve French
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 22:43:53 EST

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Steve French wrote:
> >
> > In preparation for a merge request I do
> > cg-diff -m -r origin: | diffstat -p1
> > (git diff -m -r origin: shows the same problem) and
> > cg-log -m -r origin:
>
> First off, you really should lay off the cogito thing
no problem

> - look at your .git/config file to make sure that the remote branches are
> sane. It should have something like this (and if it doesn't, add it):
>
> [remote "origin"]
> url = git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
>
> [branch "master"]
> remote = origin
> merge = refs/heads/master
.git/config now includes

[core]
repositoryformatversion = 0
filemode = true
bare = false
logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
url = /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/master

> - look at your "origin" branch, and make sure it's a *remote* branch, not
> the old-style local one. Ie it should *not* show up when you do a
> plain
>
> git branch
now only shows "* master"

> but it *should* show up (as both "origin/HEAD" and "origin/master")
> when you do
>
> git branch -a
Now "git branch -a" shows
* master
origin/master

It is missing "origin/HEAD"
> - now do "git log origin" an it should show something recent
git log origin and git log origin/master both return
"ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision"

I must be misunderstanding the syntax/manpage of git-log but "git diff
-m -r origin/master"
now works fine and displays exactly what I expect so things have improved.

> Now your setup should be ok again. I *suspect* that what has happened is
> that you got a local "origin" branch - probably through cogito - that hid
> the remote one.
This seems plausible and

--
Thanks,