Re: swap file over jffs2 partition

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 13:13:37 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
On Fre, 2008-02-29 at 04:50 +0200, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
Hello list,

I intend to build a diskless linux system (root over NFS). Because it
has 1GB of embedded flash storage, I'm thinking of using this as swap (I've been bitten many times by the problems linux has with *no*

Put more RAM on the hardware and/or reduce the software on it.
If that means heavily customizing the distribution: Do it.
If that means you can't run some specific common distribution[0]: Throw
it out and roll your own minimalistic one with just the tools and
especially libraries you need.
We run Linux on embedded hardware all the time without swapspace without
any problems (related to the "missing" swapspace).

I have been running swapless linux systems a long time ago, but I think I have had more problems than not. I have tried setting swappiness and overcommit settings but these don't help much. Let me explain:

When it is not certain that your system will run a specific task and only that, it is almost certain that sometime you will run out of memory. For example in the thin client case a user might open too many windows and fill the RAM with X server pixmaps...

So when the out of memory condition happens the system will start swapping. And if you have no swap enabled, the system will swap even harder: it will swap out all mmap'ed read-only memory segments, which mostly are the executables themselves. And because these will be needed immediately they will be swapped in immediately afterwards...

This renders the system *unusable* for all cases. Sometimes it even stops responding to ping... On the other hand if you have a swap partition then the kernel will choose to swap out other memory segments, not the executable ones that are so much needed.

swap...). And to avoid wearing out the flash storage too fast, I 'm

Swapping (and constantly writing logfiles) will wear it out much faster
than without. Perhaps not at development time but for sure in the field.

That's why I want to do it over a wear-levelling layer. Given that the partition is large enough it will hopefully take a while to wear it out.

Thanks,
Dimitris

[....]

Bernd