Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 07:46:22 EST

Hi Russell,

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:54:18 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:09:43 +0000 Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > As mentioned elsewhere, what we need for ARM is to extend the kautobuild
> > infrastructure (see armlinux.simtec.co.uk) so that we can have more trees
> > at least compile tested regularly - but that requires the folk there to
> > have additional compute power (which isn't going to happen unless folk
> > stamp up some machines _or_ funding).
>
> I now have an arm cross compiler (gcc-4.0.2-glibc-2.3.6
> arm-unknown-linux-gnu). (See the results page at
> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/branch/9/ - I must get a better
> name/place :-(.) Is this sufficient to help you out? What configs would
> be useful to build (as Andrew said, they don't take very long each).
>
> I really want as many subsystems as possible in the linux-next tree in an
> attempt to avoid some of the merge/conflict problems we have had in the
> past. What can we do to help?

OK, I tried this out: I built all 75 arm defconfigs with the cross
compiler above (the resulting log file is at
http://ozlabs.org/~sfr/armall.log.bz2). 17 failed (I don't know why - I
didn't even really look). If this is useful, I can get this added to our
infrastructure so that every linux-next kernel (and others as well, maybe)
will be built for all these.

Would that help, Russell?

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. From the timestamps in the log file you can see that this would take
around an hour each time.