Re: Intel 945GM: 2.6.25-rc3 report (with a possible regression)

From: Frans Pop
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 13:55:34 EST

On Thursday 28 February 2008, Romano Giannetti wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 16:50 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > Could this account to the LCD/CRT switching problem to?
> >
> > I'm afraid I can't help you there.
> >
> > As I said before, the only way to make sure is to see if the problem
> > gets solved if you boot the system with an older kernel version.
>
> Well, in this case I do not think it ever worked, so it's not a
> regression.

Ah, OK. That wasn't clear to me.
If it's not a regression, tracing the problem will be much harder.

The best way to start is probably just to google to see if other people with
the same laptop or video controller have the same issues (and maybe
solutions). Look for installation reports for your laptop model for
example.

> But still would it be nice to solve it... thanks anyway!

I have had LCD/VRT switching issues with my laptop as well (a Toshiba
Satellite A40). The Fn key did always work, but the output after switching
would be garbled and I could not switch back. This was finally fixed about
a year ago with the new Intel drivers and xrandr 1.2.

Your problem may be totally different though and could possibly be related
to the function keys, or indeed to the BIOS.
Note that some laptops need special kernel modules or user space programs to
be loaded for the Fn keys to be supported. Have you checked for that?