Re: very poor ext3 write performance on big filesystems?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 15:26:20 EST

Andreas Dilger schrieb:
I'm CCing the linux-raid mailing list, since I suspect they will be
interested in this result.

I would suspect that the "journal guided RAID recovery" mechanism
developed by U.Wisconsin may significantly benefit this workload
because the filesystem journal is already recording all of these
block numbers and the MD bitmap mechanism is pure overhead.

Also, using anticipatory IO scheduler seems to be the best option for an array with lots of seeks and random reads and writes (quite surprisingly, closely followed by NOOP - both were behaving much better than deadline or CFQ).

Here are some numbers I posted to BackupPC mailing list:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/14009

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org