Re: 2.6.24-git: kmap_atomic() WARN_ON()

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 18:00:38 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:49:43 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
i.e. to introduce a kmap_atomic_irqsave(...,flags) and kunmap_atomic_irqrestore() API variant. _That_ then could be mapped by -rt to a non-irq disabling thing.

Sure. But iirc we haven't had a need for this before. Which is a bit odd.

We have such a need -- we just always paper over it with spin_lock_irqsave() or local_irq_save() because those are "the rules." grep around :)

See ata_pio_sector() in libata-core.c, where we do:

if (PageHighMem(page)) {
unsigned long flags;

/* FIXME: use a bounce buffer */
local_irq_save(flags);
buf = kmap_atomic(page, KM_IRQ0);

/* do the actual data transfer */
ap->ops->data_xfer(qc->dev, buf + offset, qc->sect_size, do_write);

kunmap_atomic(buf, KM_IRQ0);
local_irq_restore(flags);
} else {
buf = page_address(page);
ap->ops->data_xfer(qc->dev, buf + offset, qc->sect_size, do_write);
}

This is a core non-DMA data transfer routine. Given the high cost of disabling interrupts during the relatively-slow PIO data transfer, we added extra logic to only disable interrupts for the highmem case.

The code in libata-scsi generally only deals with a single buffer, on average less than 128 bytes in length. So the memcpy() isn't really that expensive in the case being discussed -- unlike the ata_pio_sector() case, where the cost is very, very high.

Aside: The "FIXME: use bounce buffer" comment above indicates the more optimal PIO data xfer approach of

local_irq_save()
kmap_atomic()
memcpy into bounce buffer
kunmap_atomic()
local_irq_restore()

/* do slow PIO bitbanging data transfer */
ap->ops->data_xfer(...)

Regards,

Jeff