Re: [ugly patch] Save .15W-.5W by AHCI powersaving

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 10:50:08 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

This is a patch (very ugly, assumes you have just one disk) to bring
powersaving to AHCI. You need Alan's SCSI autosuspend (attached) patch
as a base.

It saves .5W compared to config with disk spinning, and even .15W
compared to hdparm -y... on my thinkpad x60 anyway.
..

There was a discussion of this here today.

Real-life discussion, or something I could read? :-).

It makes good use of AHCI-specific features.

Has it been tested with a Port-Multiplier yet?

I do not know what port-multiplier is, sorry. But it was not really
tested. It is not expected to work on any other config than notebook
very similar to mine.

This is cool enough that we really ought to do a hardware-independent
version, so that all SATA interfaces could benefit. Especially ata_piix,
but others too.

Well, it seems like it is 10 lines per driver once Alan's SCSI
autosuspend patches are in...
..

Cool (literally)!

I think I might have gotten your patch confused in my mind
with another AHCI patch, which uses features of the chip itself
to automatically negotiate/change link power status on the fly
(no s/w needed, other than to turn it on).

That one is very ACPI specific, though.