Re: [(RT RFC) PATCH v2 6/9] add a loop counter based timeoutmechanism

From: Gregory Haskins
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 10:16:26 EST

<20080225220601.GH2659@xxxxxxxxxx>, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe you have _way_ too many config variables. If this can be set
> at runtime, does it need a config option, too?

Generally speaking, I think until this algorithm has an adaptive-timeout in addition to an adaptive-spin/sleep, these .config based defaults are a good idea. Sometimes setting these things at runtime are a PITA when you are talking about embedded systems that might not have/want a nice userspace sysctl-config infrastructure. And changing the defaults in the code is unattractive for some users. I don't think its a big deal either way, so if people hate the config options, they should go. But I thought I would throw this use-case out there to ponder.

Regards,
-Greg