Re: [2.6.25-rc1] jerky mouse cursor and randoooom key repeats

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 09:58:43 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 03:45:00AM -0600, Chris Holvenstot wrote:
> Jiri -
>
> I am tempted to lie to you and say it was in both modes, or when running
> under X only, but to tell you the truth while I have not seen it while
> running in console mode, I have not spent enough time there to make a
> solid statement one way or the other.

Hmm, I have been seeing repeated keys a lot under X on my athlon 700,
but mainly when I have firefox running (which is of course quite a load
on the poor old thing). This has been going on for probably the last
year or so. I thought it was just the machine getting weird, although
whenever it wasn't running firefox or other memory/cpu heavy loads it
seemed fine.

The USB bus also keeps detecting and loosing a USB hub again and again,
so perhaps that is also a software problem and not actually the hardware
failing.

For example I continuously get this:

usb-storage: device found at 84
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 82
usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, address 83
usb 1-1.1.1: USB disconnect, address 84
usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 44
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 45
hub 2-2:1.0: USB hub found
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 85
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 86
usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
usb 1-1.1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 87
usb 1-1.1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 87
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 85
usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, address 86
usb 1-1.1.1: USB disconnect, address 87
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 88
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 89
usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
usb 1-1.1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 90
usb 1-1.1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 90
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 88
usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, address 89
usb 1-1.1.1: USB disconnect, address 90
usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 45
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 46
hub 2-2:1.0: USB hub found

I have never checked if it stops doing that when firefox and such
isn't running and the keyboard isn't repeating characters.

I wonder if my keyboard problems started around 2.6.18 or earlier than
that or later. I should try booting an older kernel again if I can make
it and see if it changes.

--
Len Sorensen