Re: Tiny cpusets -- cpusets for small systems?

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 22:12:42 EST

Hi Pual

> Looking at some IA64 sn2 config builds I have laying about, I see the
> following text sizes for a couple of versions, showing the growth of
> the cpuset/cgroup apparatus over time:
>
> 25933 2.6.18-rc3-mm1/kernel/cpuset.o (Aug 2006)
> vs.
> 37823 2.6.25-rc2-mm1/kernel/cgroup.o (Feb 2008)
> 19558 2.6.25-rc2-mm1/kernel/cpuset.o
>
> So the total has grown from 25933 to 57381 text bytes (note that
> this is IA64 arch; most arch's will have proportionately smaller
> text sizes.)

hm, interesting.
but unfortunately the cpuset have more than depend.(i.e. CONFIG_SMP)

To more bad thing, some embedded cpu have poor or no atomic instruction
support.
at that, turn on CONFIG_SMP become large performace regression ;)

I am not already embedded engineer.
thus, I might have made a mistake.
(BTW: I am large server engineer now)

but no thinking dependency is wrong, may be.

Pavel, what do you think it?

- kosaki