Re: Tabs, spaces, indent and 80 character lines

From: Richard Knutsson
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 10:41:12 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Why hinder a developer who prefer
2, 4, 6 or any other != 8 width?

I guess we could use tabs only at the line start, for indentation
only. Rather hard to implement, most text editors can't do that yet.
You mean for split lines? Hopefully there won't be that many, so there is just to delete the tabs it added and replace it with spaces.
By only using tabs as indents, and
changing the CodeStyle to be something like "maximum 80
characters-wide lines, with a tab-setting of 8 spaces",

This changes nothing.
Exactly! But then we can remove the "we use 8 wide tabs in the kernel" in CodeStyle.
that is
possible + easier to write code-checkers [2].

I doubt it.
Easier to write code-checkers? OK, maybe not. Just that I got hit by this problem at a time when I wrote a simple checker (don't remember its purpose).
Or are we really that concerned about the disk-space? ;)

Unpacked sources will be much bigger with not tabs, sure.
Without no tabs at all, you mean? Don't want to think about that scenario, but with this suggestion, I would estimate maybe 0,5 - 1% bigger.

Thanks for your input