Re: Question about your git habits

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Feb 23 2008 - 03:57:00 EST

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 06:37:14PM -0600, Chase Venters wrote:
> It seems to me that having multiple working trees (effectively, cloning
> the "master" repository every time I need to make anything but a trivial
> change) would be most effective under git as well as it doesn't require
> creating messy, intermediate commits in the first place (but allows for them
> if they are used). But I wonder how that approach would scale with a project
> whose git repo weighed hundreds of megs or more. (With a centralized rcs, of
> course, you don't have to lug around a copy of the whole project history in
> each working tree.)

Take a look at git-new-workdir in git's contrib directory. I'm using it a
lot now. It makes it possible to set up as many workdirs as you want, sharing
the same repo. It's very dangerous if you're not rigorous, but it saves a lot
of time when you work on several branches at a time, which is even more true
for a project's documentation. The real thing to care about is not to have
the same branch checked out at several places.

Regards,
Willy