Re: [stable] patchkbuild-allow-fstack-protector-to-take-effect.patch added to2.6.24-stable tree

From: Dave Jones
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 18:59:55 EST

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 03:42:16PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > > I thought that thread was for the much larger patches, not just this
> > > Makefile change.
> >
> > At the least we'll likely want to also pick up the other stack protector fixes
> > that went into .25rc if we turn it on in .24
>
> Hm, that sounds like a new feature :)
>
> I thought the makefile change was just a bugfix in the broken makefile.

Well, it is. But it'll cause it to enable something that has been broken for a while.
FWIW, I think having the stack protector reenabled in -stable is a worthwhile goal,
but only once it's stabilised for a while in the development tree.

My fear by just reenabling this for -stable is that when distros push out updates
based on the latest -stable, we'll see more systems like James' problematic system.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk