Re: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk.Screen becomes green.

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 12:32:26 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Friday, 22 of February 2008, Mark Lord wrote:
david@xxxxxxx wrote:
..
I've been watching for kexec hibernate for a little while now, and the last I saw was that acpi was incompatible with the kexec hibernate (but the suspend folks were still claiming that devices needed to be put in the 'right mode' not just powered off. I've been waiting to see this resolved.
..

Yeah, exactly. What's so special about poweroff on hibernation?
Why even bother with the special "S4" state there?

(1) To be able to wake up with the help of devices that can't wake
the system up from S5 (power off)
(2) To handle some platform devices appropriately over the cycle
..

That's the theory. I've read about it, but have yet to imagine
any real-life situation where it applies.

But this isn't my speciality, so.. do you have experience with any real examples?

Thanks!

I want a real full poweroff, or at least I think I do. Why wouldn't I?

????

You may want that, some people may not want it.

We are supposed to handle S4, the BIOS/platform may expect us to do that, so
IMO this is a good enough reason to do it. Especially that we can.

Thanks,
Rafael