Re: bcm43xx regression in 2.6.24 (with patch)

From: Alexey Zaytsev
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 12:13:18 EST

Michael Buesch wrote:
On Friday 22 February 2008 12:17:15 Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
Hello.

The bcm43xx driver won't work any more, if the b44 Ethernet
driver is enabled. This happens because the b44 driver
needlessly enables the b43_pci_bridge code, which claims
the same pci ids as the bcm43xx driver. The b43_pci_bridge
code is needed for the b43{legacy} drivers, but for the
b44, only the "ssb pci core" is needed.

This patch separates the ssb b43 pci bridge and the ssb pci
core config options and enables only the needed ones.

Nack. Switch to b43. bcm43xx is going to be removed anyway.
I'm not going to play these kconfig SELECT tricks anymore.
We had _lots_ of bugs there. People submitted patches that
obviously looked OK and still they turned out to break
some dependencies. KConfig SELECT is a feature from hell.

Sorry, I don't get it. You are going to remove the (somehow)
working driver, while there are known problems with the new
one? Why? To me it sounds like _breaking old but working code_
to get _more bug reports on the new code_. But, what was the
goal providing users with working drivers, or getting more
bug reports?

And please look at the problem from a user's view point. I'm
happily using the 2.6.23 kernel. The bcm43xx driver is the
only one available. And it works somehow (well, no s2ram).
Now I upgrade to the 2.6.24 kernel. I see there is a new b43 driver and try it.
For some reason it does not work, even after I follow the
firmware upgrading instructions. Not a big deal, I clearly
understand that you have to work with reverse-engineered
specs and even with good specs, bugs happen, no problem.
I'll try to debug it in the weekend and maybe will send a
bug report or patch.

But right now I have other business, sorry. The problem is,
now also the old (but not now marked as deprecated) driver
stops working.

If this is not a repgession, than I don't know what is.
And if it is a regression, it should be fixed at least in the
2.6.24.y series, do you agree?

I have provided a patch that I believe is trivial, that I have
tested with all possible config option combinations I thought
were possible, and that fixes the regression. If you have a
reason to believe it is wrong, please say it, I won't be
offended. If there is a problem with the patch, I'll gladly
fix and resend it.

This Nack leaves me with one option - to switch back to 2.6.23.
Sorry, no testing, probably more bugs not found in 2.6.24. ;(