Re: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk.Screen becomes green.

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 11:55:21 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

No. Again, if there are devices that wake us up from S4, but not from S5,
they need to be handled differently in the *enter S4* case (hibernation) and
in the *enter S5* case (powering off the system).
..

Something I've never understood, is why we would ever want to bother with *S4* at all?

I actually like hibernation (great for travelling), but I treat it as if
it were a complete power-off (S5?). I pull batteries, unplug drives,
boot other operating systems, etc..

And when I put it all back together again with the Linux disk inserted,
I fully expect it to "resume" from the hibernation of 3 months ago.
And it does.

Why would I ever want anything less than a full poweroff for hibernation ????

Thanks.