Re: Module loading/unloading and "The Stop Machine"

From: Max Krasnyanskiy
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 20:34:32 EST

Hi Tejun,

Max Krasnyansky wrote:
I was hopping you could answer a couple of questions about module loading/unloading
and the stop machine.
There was a recent discussion on LKML about CPU isolation patches I'm working on.
One of the patches makes stop machine ignore the isolated CPUs. People of course had
questions about that. So I started looking into more details and got this silly, crazy idea that maybe we do not need the stop machine any more :)

As far as I can tell the stop machine is basically a safety net in case some locking
and recounting mechanisms aren't bullet proof. In other words if a subsystem can actually
handle registration/unregistration in a robust way, module loader/unloader does not necessarily have to halt entire machine in order to load/unload a module that belongs
to that subsystem. I may of course be completely wrong on that.

Nope, it's integral part of module reference counting. When using
refcnt for object lifetime management, the last put should be atomic
against initial get of the object. This is usually achieved by
acquiring the lock used for object lookup before putting or using
atomic_dec_and_lock().

For module reference counts, this means that try_module_get() and
try_stop_module() should be atomic. Note that modules don't use simple
refcnt so the latter part isn't module_put() but the analogy still
works. There are two ways to synchronize try_module_get() against
try_stop_module() - the traditional is to grab lock in try_module_get()
and use atomic_dec_and_lock() in try_stop_module(), which works but
performance-wise bad because try_module_get() is used way much more than
try_stop_module() is. For example, an IO command can go through several
try_module_get()'s.

So, all the burden of synchronization is put onto try_stop_module().
Because all of the cpus on the machine are stopped and none of them has
been stopped in the middle of non-preemptible code, __try_stop_module()
is synchronized from try_module_get() even though all the
synchronization try_module_get() does is get_cpu().
Thanks for the info. I guess I missed that from the code. In any case that seems like a pretty heavy refcounting mechanism. In a sense that every time something is loaded or unloaded entire machine freezes, potentially for several milliseconds. Normally it's not a big deal. But once you get more and more CPUs and/or start using realtime apps this becomes
a big deal. And it's plain broken for the use case that I mentioned during CPU isolation discussions. ie When user-space thread(s) prevent stopmachine kthread from running, in which
case machine simply hangs until those user-space threads exit.

Initially I assumed that it had to do with subsystems registration/unregistration being
potentially unsafe if it's only for module ref counting there is gotta be a less expensive way.
I'll think some more about it.

The problem with the stop machine is that it's a very very big gun :). In a sense that it totally kills all the latencies and stuff since the entire machine gets halted while
module is being (un)loaded. Which is a major issue for any realtime apps. Specifically for CPU isolation the issue is that high-priority rt user-space thread prevents stop machine threads from running and entire box just hangs waiting for it. I'm kind of surprised that folks who use monster boxes with over 100 CPUs have not complained. It's must be a huge hit for those machines to halt the entire thing.

It seems that over the last few years most subsystems got much better at locking and refcounting. And I'm hopping that we can avoid halting the entire machine these days.
For CPU isolation in particular the solution is simple. We can just ignore isolated CPUs. What I'm trying to figure out is how safe it is and whether we can avoid full halt altogether.

Without the stop_machine call, there's no synchronization between
initial get and final put. Things will break.
Got it.
Thanks again for the explanation. I'll stare at the module code some more with what you said
in mind.

Max