Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 19:05:39 EST

Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> If a driver is full of lines of length >80, that's a problem.

I'm not sure.
We all have more than 80-chars wide displays for years, don't we? The
problem is not the number of characters but code which is too
complex and which may sometimes have too many levels of indentation.

Unfortunately expressing code complexity in terms of line lengths
doesn't seem to work at all.

The 80-chars limit harms development, it makes the code less readable,
sometimes far less readable.

I think we should increase length limit to 132 for the whole kernel
code. Obviously printk() _output_ etc. should stay at 80.
--
Krzysztof Halasa