Re: Make yield_task_fair more efficient

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 04:42:41 EST

* Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an alternate approach in mind (that I need to find time for),
> threaded-rbtrees. Walking the tree is really efficient, specially
> finding successor of a node.

sure, feel free to experiment with those details.

But if you want to improve Java workloads then you should probably start
by converting them to futexes instead of sched_yield(), that will
probably give far more performance than micro-optimizing the
sys_sched_yield() codepath. (especially when it happens at the expense
of other workloads, which is not acceptable for mainline) You can
rebuild your JVM easily and re-test with its locking fixed, right?

Ingo