Re: [Suspend-devel] 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off aftersuspend-to-disk. Screen becomes green.

From: Alexey Starikovskiy
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 16:26:37 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 of February 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
I think we should export the target sleep state somehow.
Yeah. By *not* using "->suspend()" for freezing or hibernate.

Please, Rafael - just make the f*cking suspend-to-disk use other routines already.

Okay, I think I'll just start sending patches for that, but rather not earlier
than in the 2.6.27 time frame. No one else works on that and I've been busy
with other things recently. Besides, I'm not even a full time kernel
developer ...

Rafael,
If I can help, please say so.

Regards,
Alex.
99% of all hardware needs to do exactly *nothing* on suspend-to-disk, and the
ones that really do need things tend to need to not do a whole lot.

For example, the "freeze" action for USB (which is one of the hardest things to suspend) should literally be something like just setting the controller STOP bit, and waiting for it to have stopped. The "unfreeze" should be to just clear the stop bit, while the "restart" should be just a controller reset to use the current memory image.

NONE OF THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING TO DO WITH SUSPEND.

It never did. I've told people so for years. Maybe actually seeing the problems will make people realize.

I think so.

So please, we shouldn't call "->suspend[_late]" or "->resume[_early]" at all. Not with PMSG_FREEZE, not with PMSG_*anything*.

Can we please get this fixed some day?

Yes, we can (hopefully).

Thanks,
Rafael