Re: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk. Screen becomes green.

From: Jeff Chua
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 13:50:07 EST

On Feb 21, 2008 2:37 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, so this is with clean current -git, and nothing disabled?

Clean as far as I can tell. Attached is my .config

> - the hang at shutdown that requires you to press-and-hold the power
> button to actually cut power.

Here's an interesting discovery. After I found that "echo reboot >
/sys/power/disk" does reboot, I tried "echo shutdown >
/sys/power/disk", it does shutdown properly.

With "platform" it refuses to shutdown. Both reboot and shutdown still
end up with Mr. Green at resume.

> IOW, I think your patch that disables the two lines actually ends up
> pretty much matching the two *different* problems. Can you confirm that
> doing those two parts of that patch individually actually does
> individually fix the two issues?

Yes, there were indeed two separate problems, and I did dissect them separately.

> (Ie disabling D3hot makes it shut down nicely but resume with green text

Yes.

> , while disabling just restore_vga() ends up with shutdown problems, but once you press-and-hold the power button, the thing will then restore nicely)+

Yes.

Thanks,
Jeff.