Re: USB regression (and other failures) in 2.6.2[45]* - mostly resolved

From: Andrew Buehler
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 13:27:53 EST

On 2/20/2008 12:15 PM, Alan Stern wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Andrew Buehler wrote:

Hmm. One thing which just sprang to mind, in the stab-in-the-dark
category: in 2.6.24.2, launching the program on some machines gave
warnings along the lines of "this program is using a deprecated
ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO" (which I naturally cannot do
since it's closed and I don't have the source),

You can ask the program's author to update it.

It's provided by Novell, with whom I have no direct contact and am not
presently authorized to speak on behalf of my organization. From what I
have read about the history of their support on this program and these
discs, I do not expect that they would be willing to support it except
in environments which they provide in monolithic form; it would be
possible for me to copy an updated version of the program out of such an
environment to use in my own customized one, but I am not certain that
they have even created such an updated version, and in any case
obtaining it would almost certainly require buying the latest version of
Novell ZENworks - which my organization is certainly not prepared to do
at the present time.

In other words: I don't think that's likely to be practical in the
present instance. If you have reason to believe otherwise (past positive
experience with Novell, for instance), I'd be glad to hear it.

I'm not sure I expressed myself clearly. I do not think the problem
is with the different kernels. I think the problem is with the
different configurations. I am asking if there are any established
techniques for comparing differences between config files from
widely different kernels.

Not as far as I know.

Oh, well... thanks anyway.

Is there any place (aside from maybe the kernel changelog, which
contains a whole lot - if not several lots - of unrelated information)
where I could find a list of config-symbol name additions, changes,
deletions and meaning changes by version or by date? That would at least
let me build a mapping between the symbols in the older config and the
ones in the new one, which is about where I would have to start.

--
Andrew Buehler