Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 09:55:32 EST

Hi Linus,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:01:14 -0800 (PST) Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I absolutely have no problem with having a "this is the infrastrcture
> changes that will go into the next release". In fact, I can even
> *maintain* such a branch.
>
> I've not wanted to open up a second branch for "this is for next release",
> because quite frankly, one of the other problems we have is that people
> already spend way too much time on the next release compared to just
> looking at regressions in the current one. But especially if we're talking
> about _purely_ API changes etc infrastructure, I could certainly do a
> "next" branch.

So, will you open such a branch? If so, what would be the mechanics of
having patches applied to it? I assume people would have to suggest such
changes explicitly and have them reviewed (hopefully more thoroughly than
usual) in that light. I guess one place these "infrastructure" changes
may be noticed would be when subsystem maintainers stray outside their
subsystem in what they submit to the linux-next tree (or break it).

Then I assume most people would start working on a merge of this "next"
branch and your "master" branch, right? Consequently, each linux-next
would also be based on that merge.

I suppose I am stating the obvious (or asking the dumb questions), but I
always find it easier to have explicit answers to these sorts of things.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx