Re: adapter, what's in a name

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 05:20:45 EST

On Feb 20 2008 10:38, Stefan Richter wrote:
>Karl Dahlke wrote:
>> The longer I stay on this list, the more I will learn.
>> But it's high volume, so I may not be able to stay for long.
>
>Because of the high volume at this list, it is essential that
> - you keep everyone who posted in a tread in the Cc: list of your
> replies, (that way it is possible to discuss on LKML even with
> people who are not subscribed; but more importantly, people who
> take part in a discussion are less likely to miss replies),
> - you actually reply rather than start new threads all the time.

Indeed, in PINE, mails with your address in Cc get preprended with a
minus sign, mails with your addr in To gets prepended with a plus
sign, conveniently marking the discussions one has taken part in. (Or
alternatively, one can use 'select all mails with my address' to
color-highlight it.) Pretty nifty.

>Aren't those drivers ones for
> - input devices,
> - display devices (in a more general sense than visual displays, i.e.
> also including audible and tactile displays)?
>Besides, if you had for example an USB device of that type, the most
>natural place for its sources would be somewhere beneath drivers/usb/.

Well actually, I think it would go into drivers/input/. It is not
quite obvious.

Wireless USB -- drivers/net/wireless, not drivers/usb/
Serial USB -- drivers/usb/serial, not drivers/serial/usb/
for example, but it seems to flow well anyway.