Re: random wedges with 2.6.25-rc*

From: David Rees
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 15:25:40 EST

On Feb 19, 2008 10:10 AM, Pierre Ossman <drzeus-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Somewhere post 2.6.24, the kernel started getting very
> temperamentful. I experience random hangs and wedges very often.

FWIW, on my Fedora 8 Dell Vostro 1000 notebook, ever since updating to
kernel 2.6.23.15-137 I am getting frequent udev startup lockups on
boot. Resetting and rebooting will get things past udev startup some
of the time, so it doesn't always hang. I'd guess it hangs about half
the time. Once past udev startup, everything works fine, no hangs. I
haven't seen this on a half dozen other desktops/servers running
Fedora 8.

Aside from that, everything else works fine. The previous kernel was
2.6.23.14-115, so I suspect that if these were related, the changes
were backported into the 2.6.23 stable tree in 2.6.23.15?

You can view the reported list of differences between the two kernels
in the package announcement:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-February/msg00255.html

-Dave