Re: LILO fatal error after going from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24.2

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 12:22:46 EST

Rasmus Andersen wrote:
Hello,

I have just upgraded from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24.2 and after booting into the
new kernel and seeing that everything went right, I wanted to make the
new kernel the default boot kernel. But running LILO I got

Fatal: Linux experimental device 0x04x needs to be defined.
Check 'man lilo.conf' under 'disk=' and 'max-partitions='

(Full output from lilo -v 5 below). Apart from setting 2.6.24.2 as
default this is the same lilo config as 2.6.22 was able to write fine.
Can anyone tell me what I (or the kernel) am/is doing wrong?

You have at least one file on a device mapper device (possibly an LVM module), and LILO doesn't understand it.

-hpa