Re: very poor ext3 write performance on big filesystems?

From: Chris Mason
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 11:07:59 EST

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Chris Mason schrieb:
> > On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >> Theodore Tso schrieb:
> >>
> >> (...)

> >> It doesn't work very reliable for me.
> >>
> >> For some reason, it hangs for me sometimes (doesn't remove any files, rm
> >> -rf just stalls), or segfaults.
> >
> > You can go the low-tech route (assuming your file names don't have spaces
> > in them)
> >
> > find . -printf "%i %p\n" | sort -n | awk '{print $2}' | xargs rm
>
> Why should it make a difference?

It does something similar to Ted's ld preload, sorting the results from
readdir by inode number before using them. You will still seek quite a lot
between the directory entries, but operations on the files themselves will go
in a much more optimal order. It might help.

> Does "find" find filenames/paths faster than "rm -r"?
>
> Or is "find once/remove once" faster than "find files/rm files/find
> files/rm files/...", which I suppose "rm -r" does?

rm -r does removes things in the order that readdir returns. In your hard
linked tree (on almost any FS), this will be very random. The sorting is
probably the best you can do from userland to optimize the ordering.

-chris