Re: IO queueing and complete affinity w/ threads: Some results

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 20:50:43 EST

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 02:33:17PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > and that scrapping the remote
> > softirq trigger stuff is sanest.
>
> I actually liked Nick's queued smp_function_call_single() patch. So even
> if it was not used for block I would still like to see it being merged
> in some form to speed up all the other IPI users.

Yeah, that hasn't been forgotten (nor have your comments about folding
my special function into smp_call_function_single).

The call function path is terribly unscalable at the moment on a lot
of architectures, and also it isn't allowed to be used with interrupts
off due to deadlock (which the queued version can allow, provided
that wait=0).

I will get around to sending that upstream soon.