Re: 2.6.25-rc[12] Video4Linux Bttv Regression

From: Bongani Hlope
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 18:21:55 EST

On Monday 18 February 2008 23:20:40 Bongani Hlope wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2008 18:11:25 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Have you tested Robert's patch?
>
> Sorry almost forgot, I have and it fixes the TV but not the radio.
>
> > I can't see anything wrong on bttv_g_tuner lock. I suspect that the
> > divide error caused some bad effects at some data on bttv.
>
> The problems don't seem related because one is caused by opening the
> "radio" application, the divide error is caused by using a TV viewing
> application (I tried fbtv)
>
> > I've already applied his fix to my -git tree:
>
> Thanx, I'll try to bisect

I tried to bisect but the V4L/DVB changes are not bisect friendly, on two
occursions I just selected "git bisect bad" because the bttv driver wouldn't
compile, so I couldn't pin-point what causes the oops and hang.

Here are some few observations I made though (I started bisecting between
2.6.24 and 2.6.25-rc1, saved me ~1000 commits):
1. On the third bisect, there's no oops my PC just hangs a I can't use any
open terminals
2. When I reached the V4L/DVB changes, my PC did not hag or oops, the radio
just didn't work (something about invalid VID**AUD**). This made it harder to
bisect, because it is not working and not breaking so is it good or bad...

Cheers