Re: My system stops during startup with curretn git tree of 2.6.25-rc2

From: Laszlo Attila Toth
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:06:55 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:04:59 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

It looks like there is something weird as my systems stops when the swap is mounted. I've played bisection game and this is the commit which makes the system unusable:
# bad: [45b503548210fe6f23e92b856421c2a3f05fd034] [RTNETLINK]: Send a
single notification on device state changes.
git-bisect bad 45b503548210fe6f23e92b856421c2a3f05fd034
I've tried to reverse this commit - and it has compiled & worked.
This commit is completely broken (it, for example, breaks locking around dev->link_mode), as has been already mentioned by Rafael at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/15/542

Dave, do you have a proper fix queued? Otherwise I would propose just to revert it completely from Linus' tree for now.

I just reverted and I'll push that to Linus.

Okay, but I can't figure out what's the problem with it. I don't have wireless card on my linux box also I can't test it but everything else works. Swap is mounted.

The concurrency cannot be a problem because the write operation is protected by a lock.

My only idea is the notification itself, because the netdev_state_change function is used which calls rtmsg_ifinfo too.

void netdev_state_change(struct net_device *dev)
{
if (dev->flags & IFF_UP) {
call_netdevice_notifiers(NETDEV_CHANGE, dev);
rtmsg_ifinfo(RTM_NEWLINK, dev, 0);
}
}

Also last lines of my patch could be instead of
if (modified)
netdev_state_change(dev);

the following:
if (modified && dev->flags & IFF_UP) {
call_netdevice_notifiers(NETDEV_CHANGE, dev);
}

Regards,
Attila