Re: Linux 2.6.24.1 - kernel does not boot; IRQ trouble?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:03:33 EST

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:54:08 +0000 (GMT) Chris Rankin <rankincj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Try this again, except this time I'll force the attachment as inline text!]
>
> Hi,
>
> I have managed to boot 2.6.24.1 on this machine, with the NMI watchdog enabled, by using the
> "acpi=noirq" option. (There does seem to be some unhappiness with bridge symlinks in sysfs,
> though.)

Is this a regression? If so, which was the latest kernel version which
worked OK?

> NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
> NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized mga 3.2.1 20051102 on minor 0
> agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
> [drm] Initialized card for AGP DMA.

and here it hangs, I assume?

Please add initcall_debug to the kernel boot command line so we can see if
we can get a more precise idea of where it went wrong.

Do you believe that this hang is somehow caused by x86 NMI? If so, why?

Thanks.