Re: xfsaild causing 30+ wakeups/s on an idle system since 2.6.25-rcX

From: David Chinner
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 05:22:25 EST

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:41:39AM +0200, Török Edwin wrote:
> David Chinner wrote:

> > That's a bug
>
> Ok. Your patches fixes the 30+ wakeups :)

Good. I'll push it out for review then.

> > , and has nothing to do with power consumption. ;)
> >

> I suggest using a sysctl value (such as
> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs), instead of a hardcoded default
> 1000.

No, too magic. I dislike adding knobs to workaround issues that
really should be fixed by having sane default behaviour. Further
down the track as we correct know issues with the AIL push code
we'll be able to increase this idle timeout or even make it purely
wakeup driven once we get back to an idle state. However, right now
it still needs that once a second wakeup to work around a nasty
corner case that can hang the filesystem....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner