Re: 2.6.25-rc2: Reported regressions from 2.6.24

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 04:59:32 EST

On 02/18/2008 10:49 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why on earth do we have CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED at all if the only sane choice for someone who tests new kernels is to always turn it on?

seconded ...

it's insane how inconvenient certain storage systems are to use, and people get turned away with NOATBUG. ITISABUG every time user-space breaks or the user has to do _anything_ to get the box working as it should.

No, user needn't to do anything. Just turn that default y option really to y (yes, you are right, the help text of this option is misleading...). It's like you turn off old acpi events option and scream that you acpi daemon doesn't work for instance. There are many instances of this behaviour in the kernel. And yes, many people don't need that option tuyrned on -- I think we need not-y testers too, but it might be my personal feeling.